Virginia Phillips

Colleagues Honor Phillips’ Legacy

On November 3, friends and family gathered in the Main Building to honor a storied figure in the Libraries recent history.

Marking her 95th birthday, the Libraries recognized the contributions of retired librarian and administrator Virginia Phillips, who served the General Libraries from 1975 -1998 in various capacities throughout the organization, most notably as assistant director for Branch Services.

During the event Phillips’s impact was cataloged by a series of former colleagues, all of whom noted her direct influence within their own professional experiences.

Dennis Trombatore with Virginia Phillips.

To honor her legacy with the Libraries, associates recognized Phillips with a permanent naming in her honor of a bookcase in the Hall of Noble Words in the Life Science Library, housed within one of the university’s most distinguishing landmarks and symbols of academic excellence.

The indelible mark Phillips left on the University of Texas Libraries is extraordinary. Her oversight of branch libraries, recruitment of talent and philanthropic support through endowments forged a path for building strong and meaningful relationships that extend far into the future.

Contributors to the naming:

Susan and Thomas Ardis
Larayne Dallas and Timothy DeFries
Liz DeHart
Elizabeth Dupuis
Nancy Elder
Eloise Ellis
Jenifer and David Flaxbart
Robin Fradenburgh
Laura Gutierrez-Witt
Catherine Hamer
Janine Henri
Dr. Barbara Immroth
Carol Kay Johnson
Gary Lay
Karen and Esther Lemunyon
Peggy Mueller
Susan Phillips
Mary Lynn Rice-Lively
Winona Schroeder
Mary Seng
Lorie Kay Sewell
John Tongate
Dennis Trombatore
Molly White
Shiela Winchester

2 thoughts on “Colleagues Honor Phillips’ Legacy”

1. Virginia Phillips hired me when I was a library school student to care for the periodicals collection of the library school, which was (I was told later) a branch library, though on PCL’s sixth floor.
    She was very exact in what she wanted done there so I learned a lot from her. I have always been grateful to Ms Phillips for giving me (as a second career student) that beginning which stretched into 21 years at PCL. We were honored when she attended my retirement in January 2016.

I wish I could have shared in this occasion but I do so by sending my thanks and very best wishes now. God bless you, Ms Phillips!
    Helen

2. Hey, Travis,

Great article about the Virginia Phillps naming project.

I was also a contributor; my name doesn’t show on the list.

Thanks,
    Peggy Mueller